Tuesday 31 August 2010

Day 5

The girls were clucking at 6.45am, so I went down and let them out.  My oldies all marched into the omlet run, it was very tempting to shut them in there and let the newbies have the main run, but I think there would have been war if I'd done that, so I shooed them out, and Clarice promptly attacked Madge!  She was vicious.  I got Madge into the run, and then Bramble.  Alice needed persuading to come out, and I don't blame her for that, and she dashed out of the coop and into the run and I shut the door.
I started hammering more wire round the top. I did it in three goes, and now its completely enclosed.
This evening I sat in front of the run with the door open and a pot of treats.  My oldies made several sorties to get in with the babies, but I turfed them out, and when the food was gone they retreated to preen and eat cabbage.  The little ones got quite brave and came very close to me, even Alice.
They all came out of the run tonight, Madge went straight in, Alice did what Clara did when she was a baby and tried to go through the floor!  She was next in, and I had to lift Bramble in,she hasn't quite got the hang of going to bed.  There was a bit of squawking, and then they started to settle down.  There was some grumbling for a while, and eventually they all settled down and went to sleep.   Ahhhh.

No comments:

Post a Comment