Thursday 2 September 2010

Day 7

I got the girls up before my shower today, and they all dashed out and into their proper runs.
I left the omlet run door open and the girls had more space to patrol inside the netting I put in last night.Before I went to do my round Bramble got over the fence and was chased by Clarice, so I rescued her and put her back.  Then before I went to the allotment there was a lot of squawking and Madge, now known as Belle was stuck in the fence.  She'd got her front end through and the wire was behind her wings so she couldnt go back or forward. The others were attacking her bottom.  I cut the fence and she walked through.  I then locked them in while I went to the allotment.
When I got back I let them out again, and half an hour later I heard a lot of flapping and squawking and Clarice had got into the newbies run and they were everywhere.  Alice and Bramble ran into the coop to hide in the nest box, and I caught Belle and put her back in the run.  It took a while to coax Bramble back out and I carried her to the run, Alice shot out of the coop and straight in before us.  I feel so sorry for these youngsters, Its so unfair that my older girls abuse them like this, but that's Chickens for you.
I went out with grapes and mealworms in the evening, and sat in the run door and fed both sets of girls.
I think Bramble and Belle might start laying eggs soon, they both duck down when you go near them, so I'll need to make a nest box for them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment