Saturday 4 September 2010

Day 9

The girls thundered out of the coop this morning, there was a bit of bickering, and they all arrived in the right areas and I left the newbies out in their run.
They were fine when I came back from my paper round, and I went off to the allotment, and then to get a water butt for the run.
Spice was a bit off colour.  She sat by the gate with her eyes shut, and I spent the day worrying about her.
When I got back they were all mixed together.  There was the occasional bit of pecking and bickering, but otherwise they were ok.  I got a bit fed up with the newbies being stopped from getting food etc, so I got my water bottle and squirted whoever was attacking.  They weren't impressed with that, and did keep half an eye on me.  Spice was still quiet, and hid in the bushes.  I was a bit worried I'd upset her with the water bottle.
John spent the day finishing off the run.  He put the gutter up and was putting boards round the bottom to try and contain the wood shavings.  He said the girls were mixing because I'd put the net fence upside down, and they could get through the holes. So this evening I turned the netting over, so hopefully that will sort that problem, and once the girls were shut in Spice picked up and trotted round with the other three.
Chickens are far more complex that is realised, and somehow Ive got to get past the territory problem
My new girls are beautiful.  Belle and Bramble are becoming more and more friendly, and Alice is getting braver, and will come out of the run if Im sitting on their side.  We've come a long way in a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment